Fire Alarms + Exams = …..?

Fire alarms + Exams = Madison REALLY needs Spring Break right now.

crazy-cat

Last night at 12:30-ish we had another fire alarm go off, and once again I was already fast asleep in bed. This time I was too out of it to remember to bring my scarf or hat and I suffered the consequences. My roommates also took it upon themselves to keep me awake while we waited for the 20 minutes to return to our nice, warm dorm. I’ve said this before- I can fall asleep anywhere. And I do mean anywhere. When my friend looked over and shouted, “Madison, are you falling asleep?” causing five sets of eyes to turn towards me, I couldn’t deny it. I was nodding off while standing up.

Then for the second part of that evil equation, I have two exams tomorrow in Supply Chain Management and OR. I’m feeling “eh” about both of them, so this post will be very quick. Pictures, words and I’m out of here, off to finish my flashcards and get (hopefully) a fire-free sleep.

Today I’m going to try and kind of follow the rules for What I ate Wednesday for once. Except I didn’t get a chance to take pictures of most of the main meals from my cooking weekend, just the good stuff. So I still sort of failed…

Come Saturday morning I discovered that not only were we out of coconut flour and almond flour at home, but also yogurt and bananas. BANANAS? That is basically my #1 favored ingredient for making breakfasts. With basically nothing I was able to scrounge around for some random gluten-free flours and came up with a pretty passable pancake recipe. I added blueberries to the batter and then to make them even more blue-rific I also added a blueberry maple syrup sauce to the top. They weren’t as fluffy as I would have liked because we were also out of baking soda (how do these people survive without me?). I’m going to do some future experiments before posting any official recipe.

blueberry-pancakes-full-sharp

I’m embarrassed to share this next picture. Not because it’s hideous. On the contrary, I think they sound amazing. It’s because it’s another….

peppermint-pancakes-cooked-sharp

Β PANCAKE

On Saturday morning my brother had basketball shooting practice so I offered to make him breakfast before he left. Usually we make his pancakes with chocolate chips… However, you guessed it! We were once again out of an essential ingredient. Instead I found some peppermint Hershey kisses, broke them up into tiny bits and BAM. Instant success.

peppermint-pancakes-cooked-edit

I did make one non-pancake recipe for WIAW and that would be this Pina Colada Smoothie. It is is so incredibly easy, healthy and fun to make. Plus it’s delicious. I don’t care if we are getting another winter storm soon, smoothies are good in any weather.

smoothie-side-large-edit-3

And that concludes my semi-following-the-rules WIAW for the week. Thank you to Jenn once again for hosting this link-up party and don’t forget to comment on the other bloggers who joined in!

I’m not sure if you will hear from me again before next Wednesday because my schedule also includes more exams next week too. Three weeks of straight exams is just way too much if you ask me. Unfortunately my teachers don’t really care what I think. Oh well! πŸ˜‰

exam-cat

————————————————————————————————————————————-

Questions for you:

Tell me your equation for the week! _______ + _______ = how do you feel?

What is your favorite addition to pancakes?

Have you started drinking smoothies yet? Did you ever stop? Haha.

What is the first thing that you do when Spring comes around?Β Take a nice walk outside and soak up the glorious sun!

40 Thoughts on “Fire Alarms + Exams = …..?

1. Good luck with your exams! That must be so hectic. D:
    I love adding blueberries to my pancakes. How they just ooze into my mouth. Yum!
    Genius idea to make the pancakes with the hershey kisses. I would have never thought of that. I can’t wait for the recipe once you play around with it. πŸ˜€
    A pina colada smoothie? Count me in! πŸ˜€

• Hectic is a good word for it Natalie πŸ˜‰

Actually my brother refuses to eat homemade pancakes so his were as simple as mixing up a “just add water” pancake mix and then after pouring the batter on the griddle, adding some of the hershey kiss bits! πŸ™‚ Easy peasy.

The pina colada smoothie will be up within the next week πŸ™‚

2. Omg that sucks so bad with the alarms. I NEED spring break too! Also I am the opposite of you when it comes to falling asleep- cannot fall asleep unless I am in my own bed with an eyemask and earplugs in hahaha

• Eyemask and earplugs? Whoa. Well, at least you know what works for you! I hate things being dead silent. I need some kind of noise to fall asleep!

When is your Spring break?

3. Pancakes with walnuts and maple syrup are the win for me. Or pancakes spread with peanut butter, nom!

OMG I can’t believe the damn fire alarm went off again. So not cool in your exam week! I am sure your 2 exams will go fine though and you know more than you think.

Lots of couch time + time alone = me going a bit batty / stir crazy this week πŸ˜‰

• Peanut butter would be a close second to maple syrup for me as well.

My thoughts exactly. It’s like it hates me. I have more exams next week so it better not go off again.

Oh yes! Is that because of your broken limb?! Hope it’s not so painful πŸ™

4. Oh and I love the pina colada smoothies. I drink smoothies no matter what the weather is but haven;t had one for maybe a month.

In spring I love going for walks too or preferably longer hikes πŸ™‚

• Yes!! Smoothies year round πŸ™‚

A hike sounds good except for the runny nose that always results… stupid tree allergies. Lol. Now that you have mentioned that though, I’m itching to go on a walk through our woods the next time I’m home…. if it’s warm that is.

5. Love the peppermint pancakes! It’s pancake day in the UK next week so I’ll be needing all the p’cake inspiration I can get… yours are on the list!

• madison on February 27, 2014 at 1:00 am said:

Well I have plenty of pancake recipes on here! πŸ˜† Grain-free mostly!

I can’t wait to see what you whip up for pancake day. Is it going to be an all-day event? You could have sweet pancakes for breakfast, savory for lunch (I think Arman at Big Man’s World has some fantastic goat cheese pancakes!), savory for supper (acorn squash or sweet potato?) and then some fancy pancakes for dessert. Oh boy, now I’m hungry.

6. I think it’s time you make a grocery trip. Ha Ha! I’m quite impressed you were able to come up w/ a successful pancake recipe w/ such limited ingredients. Aren’t you just freaking awesome!!

• madison on February 27, 2014 at 1:01 am said:

We did on Saturday night and then Sunday, but by then it was too little too late for me to make anything with the groceries we bought πŸ™ Hopefully there will be some for next weekend!

7. Oh gosh, NEVER be ashamed of pancake pictures! I’m practically drooling over here…

And that smoothie sounds incredible. I love pina colada flavors. Best of luck on your exams – hopefully that darn alarm doesn’t go off again!

• madison on February 27, 2014 at 1:03 am said:

Thanks! My fingers are crossed πŸ™‚ And now I’m off to take another stab at writing a comment on your recent Acid reflux update/WIAW! I had one all written off and then I accidentally exited out of my browser. I swear, for someone who spends so much time on the computer, that shouldn’t happen as often as it does.

8. hahaha I love how you used the peppermint kisses. Way to improvise πŸ˜‰ I bet they were delicious!

• madison on February 27, 2014 at 1:04 am said:

Thanks πŸ˜‰ My brother is super picky when it comes to food so the fact that he ate both of them is a testament to the power of my cooking skills… Haha. Or hershey kisses πŸ˜‰

9. Packing boxes + kitchen hunting = exhausted!
    That’s my life in a simple equation. πŸ˜‰
    I haven’t had a smoothie in ages and my blender is collecting dust. Busted! I only crave smoothies when it’s really hot outside.
    When Spring comes around, I’m looking forward to my first outdoor run of the year. Technically, it’s been warm enough lately, but it’s usually dark already when I come home from work.

• madison on February 27, 2014 at 1:06 am said:

Good one! Hopefully soon the end result will change to… New house! πŸ™‚

I was just thinking the other day that if Ohio weather was perpetually warm I would probably be more inclined to become a runner. Poor excuse, I know, but when half the year it’s just miserable to be outside it’s hard to get in the groove.

Ya, definitely better to wait until it’s lighter outside to run. I hope you get to soon.

10. Running + cake = heaven
    But that’s a given for me!
    Love your peppermint pancakes. And how lovely of you to make your brother breakfast! I hope he appreciated it πŸ˜‰
    Ahh spring, it’s almost upon us! Definitely more long walks at the weekend. And getting up earlier naturally.

• madison on February 27, 2014 at 1:10 am said:

That should be your site tagline πŸ˜‰

I tried talking to him while he was eating his pancakes but he was too focused on eating and playing a game on his phone. “Teenagers.” :roll: Lol.

Waking up in the dark is one of my least favorite parts of winter, aside from the cold. To turn on the light in our common area you have to cross the entire room in the dark. Needless to say there are quite a few obstacles leftover from the night before usually. Chairs, game system cords, and my favorite- a huge skateboard. My shins were not happy after that one.

11. I could go with meetings+banana hoarding=stress baking or granola+faceplant= happy Sarah (both are totally accurate for my mood this week!)

I love the peppermint in the pancakes and the fact that there are so many pancakes in this post πŸ™‚

Hang in there with exams and any other fire alarms you may get!

• madison on February 27, 2014 at 1:11 am said:

Stress baking = ME too! Let’s hope this week though the Happy Sarah equation will prevail πŸ™‚

I would take an exam over a fire alarm any day! Ha.

12. Ugh fire alarms in dorms are the worst especially at night! I miss many things about college but that is not one of them! Good luck on those exams hun! And way to go with those pancake recipes from limited resources…you made me laugh with the wondering how they do things without you. I wondered the same thing when I woke up feeling almost back to normal on Thursday and then saw the disaster that was my house and fridge. I have no idea what those boys were doing while I was out of it (or how I missed it), but things were a hot mess for a few days till everything got back to normal!

• madison on February 27, 2014 at 1:15 am said:

I am not the most tidy person (my room at home is a testament to that), but my dorm room at school is pretty organized. So then when I walk in the house at the end of the week when I come home… Yikes. I feel just like you.

Right now I am picturing you yelling at Joe while pointing to the inside of the fridge saying “WHAT. IS. THIS….. EXPLAIN.” Ha. All with a smile of course! πŸ˜†

13. Aaaaaah poor you! I was laughing out loud when I first read about you falling asleep during the fire alarm. But I am the same. I can sleep though anything. I once fell asleep during a punk rock concert πŸ˜›

For your questions:

Packing + dancing = sweet vacation anticipation

I might be a weirdo but I like my pancakes plain. But I like bananas πŸ™‚ in my pancakes. Maple syrup always is a win, too.

I have at least one if not two smoothies a day lately. I’m craving them like crazy!

When spring comes around I’ll soak up as much sun as possible. And then I’ll have a bbq πŸ˜€

• madison on February 27, 2014 at 1:18 am said:

Haha. That makes me feel better! Some people wonder how I can fall asleep during loud things (like musicals, plays, movies, etc.). It just comes easy to me. I’m tired. I sleep πŸ™‚

You are going to have a blast on your trip! And I’m sure I don’t need to tell you to take lots of pictures!!

Ooo… a BBQ sounds good! Maybe I can convince my dad to fix up our crappy grill and put on some chicken when it gets warm out.

14. Peppermint pancakes?! thats a new one!!

15. Peppermint added to pancakes?! Why didn’t I think of this! Looks delicious. My favorite thing to add is dried fruit… I know I sound like a grandma >.<

• madison on February 27, 2014 at 1:19 am said:

You will have to try it sometime! I think Andes mints, peppermint M&M’s or crumbled york peppermint patties would all be great too.

We rarely have dried fruit in our house, and when we do, it’s gone in .3 seconds from my dad. That sounds like a great addition to pancakes. Does it soften up a bit in the batter or does it stay pretty chewy and hard?

16. Yum to the pancakes. I wish you all of the luck in the world for your exams. πŸ™‚

17. Wow, another fire alarm?? Someone must really have some sort of grudge against you, or something like that…That being said, you are lucky to be able to fall asleep just about anywhere, seeing as I have trouble just falling asleep in a hotel room sometimes. And as for airplanes? Forget about it. I am a light sleeper as well, so when our dog decides she has to pee at 2:00 in the morning, guess whose door she decides to sit outside and whine at? Yup, yours truly. Anyway, good luck with all of your exams!! Though I can’t predict the future, of course, I am 90% sure you will do well on them–give or take a few percentage points πŸ˜‰ All of those pancakes look quite tasty, and I know what you mean about running out of bananas. We go through bananas incredibly fast, and almost always have some sitting around the house. If not, someone is bound to complain very quickly. That smoothie looks delicious as well, provided there is no alcohol in it, of course πŸ˜‰ I hope you have a good week, and I wish you the best of luck again with everything!

• madison on February 27, 2014 at 1:30 am said:

I heard this time it was about someone burning popcorn, but they must have been joking because I feel like people should have learned by now…

Okay, hotel rooms may be a good exception. I have to sleep on top of the covers or I can never fall asleep. Actually, that goes for any time I go to bed… But the #1 worst place to try and sleep is summer camp. Hot + sticky = Awful.

Haha. Thanks for the dose of positivity and making me smile with the math mention.

Off topic but it’s really bothering me. WordPress is telling me that “positivity” is spelled wrong above. What the heck?!

Bananas are eaten up super fast at my house too. Among the three of them they probably go through 4 or 5 bunches a week.

Oh no. No alcohol! Haha. Not old enough for that. And plus it was for my mom, and she isn’t much of a drinker.

18. OMFG I HAVE 8 zillion stories about fire alarms going off in the middle of the night. SO OBNOXIOUS! And you know what stinks? The fire alarm in my current apartment complex goes off a fair amount TOO and sometimes it goes off at 4 am! IT’S TERRIBLE!!!!!! I never know what to do because it goes off so much, that the entire apartment just doesn’t even leave their apartments anymore because we think it’s CRYING WOLF! However, there actually WAS a fire once!!!

19. Peppermint pancakes are genius, I’ve got to try them some day! Ugh, three weeks of exams sounds horrible. I’m kind of/not really looking forward to spring break since midterms happen right after the break.

Good luck with your exams Madison!

20. Good luck with your exams. Ummm, the broken hershey kisses in pancakes sounds like the greatest idea of all time, great thinking!

21. Good luck with exams Ms. Madison, and don’t worry about blogging stuff. It’ll all be here when you’ve got more time to tackle it.
    In the meantime, study hard and pancake away. I love adding the mint candy and chocolate right to the batter. Genius idea.

22. Is that a PEPPERMINT pancake?! Genius…

23. My food woe is my older daughter will ask what is for diennr. Usually I try to make stuff that we have already tried before and they have eaten without threats to their life. Whatever food I tell her is immediately poo-pooed or a grumble starts. Unless of course it is frozen pizza, but even my middle daughter will poo-poo this, so I try to be vague when I explain what is for diennr. This buys me time to finish it and place it on the table before I get the grumbles of complaints!